HPC 420 standard for Home, Laundry and Personal Care products
HPC 420 is a global safety and quality management system standard that helps companies consistently manufacture products that meet customer demands and protect their brands.
Based on PAS 420 standard by the British Standards Institution, it adds a management component for product quality. It also sets extensive requirements for certification and accreditation bodies.
Implementation and certification to the HPC 420 standard will help your company:
- Comply with customers product safety and hygiene requirements
- Reduce customers audits
- Demonstrate a robust product safety management system
- Enable continuous improvement in processes and product safety
- Better protect their brand and customers
- Gain greater brand confidence when applying and getting certified to globally recognized schemes
- Enable faster time to market as certification allows faster procurement from new suppliers
- Reduce the audit burden when applying globally recognized industry standards
- Manage supply chain risk and drive continual improvement.
The standard enables auditing and certification of HPC safety and quality management systems, covering:
- Manufacturing of home care products (e.g. detergents, fabric softener, dish washing tablets etc.)
- Manufacturing of personal care products (e.g. shampoo, lipsticks, cotton pads, soap)
- (Bio)chemical manufacturing (HPC ingredients e.g. vitamins, additives and bio-extracts (but excluding technical and technological aids of the manufacturing process)
- Manufacturing of HPC product packaging (e.g. direct, indirect contact with HPC products)
- Transport and storage on site and as part of an operation are included.
The Standard is applicable to all organizations in the HPC supply chain in the above categories, regardless of size and complexity. Covered under the standard are the raw material and packaging used in the manufacturing of finished products. In addition to the main requirements of the standard, there are also additional requirement for home care and personal care products defined in Annex A and B of the standard.
As would be expected from a Product Safety Management system, there are the required elements for ensuring a well implemented, documented and maintained system is in place to support all operations – this includes the requirements for:
- Documentation control
- Management review
- Product safety policy
- Responsibilities and authorities
- Resource management
- Verification processes - internal audit and analysis of data
- Control of non-conformity
- Product risk assessment, including establishing a team, product characteristics, flow diagrams, process etc., risk assessment, critical control points, critical limits, monitoring and actions
- Pre-requisite programmes covering (this is not an exhaustive list) - buildings, pest control, contamination control, maintenance, product information, recall, warehousing, product defense, maintenance and hygienic design, utilities, etc.
Annex B (Personal care) - in addition to those identified above - internal structures, storage of PC products, raw and packaging materials, lighting, and fitting, microbiological cross contamination, physical contamination, personal hygiene facilities and toilets, cleaning and sanitation, pest control, workwear and protective clothing, Illness and injuries. Personal cleanliness, personal behaviours, warehousing requirements and reworked products
Additional requirements to be covered under annex’s include:
Annex A (Home and Personal Care) - Laboratory facilities, containers for waste and hazardous substances, drainage, temperature control and monitoring equipment, preventive and corrective maintenance, management of purchased materials, selection and management of suppliers, incoming material requirements
How to get certified?
Details on how to apply for certification are detailed in Part l Requirements for HPC 420 Certification.
- Get the standard.
Understand the requirements and gauge if your site meets the requirements.
- Measure readiness.
Perform a self-assessment to determine readiness for the certification process. An independent Gap Assessment may be considered for review of the organization’s procedures and processes so that a plan for improvements can be established.
- Select certification body.
Choose your certification body. DNV is licensed by HPC 420 to perform audits against their standard.
- Prepare for the audit.
The certification body will require information to enable the selection of auditor(s) with the required skills to perform the audit. This includes details that helps define the required audit duration.
- Perform the audit.
As HPC 420 is assessed in accordance with ISO 17021, the initial audit will entail a document review (Stage 1) assessment followed by a initial audit (Stage 2). This initial audit is carried out at the premises of the organization. During the audit any findings identified will be categories as non-conformities to be addressed by the organization.
- Become certified.
Corrections, root cause analysis and corrective actions will be required to address any findings in order for DNV to issue a certificate of compliance.
- Maintain certification.
The certificate is valid for 3 years and annual surveillance audits to ensure continued compliance. Every third year, a re-certification audit is executed.
How can DNV help?
Services we can provide include:
- Gap Assessment.
With any new certification programme, DNV offers gap assessment against the requirements of this standard with the aim of helping sites to be prepared for their certification audit. This assessment highlights areas where improvements are required in order for a site to be successful in their certification audit.
Certification of your product safety management system to HCP420.
DNV has an extensive network of auditors whom have a wide range of experience in auditing organizations for products and processes covered under the scope of HPC 420.
Within the global network for DNV auditor are located within many countries who can offer audits in local language with the knowledge and understanding of local customs.