The client had seen an increase in the number of contractor accidents and incidents during onshore decommissioning, demolition and remediation projects and needed to reverse this trend.
As an independent advisor, DNV evaluated the safety, health and environmental performance of potential contractors by tender document review and audits on live projects. The contractors’ SHE performance was continuously evaluated and improved with DNV’s support:
- Setting and measuring SHE key performance indicators to drive continual improvement
- Contractor and sub-contractor audits and inspections
- Incident investigation including root cause analysis and sharing lessons learned with the broader supply chain
- Regular contractor performance feedback bulletins and face-to-face meetings
- Newsletters to all contractors highlighting trends, best practice and updates to SHE compliance obligations
- Supply chain SHE cultural survey and feedback.
Outcome and benefits
The SHE culture and performance of the contractors improved and the number and severity of accidents and incidents decreased. Because of this, project downturn was reduced and the client had over a year of operations without a loss time injury, which had the added impact of further improving the client’s reputation.